So we've lived in San Diego for all of Harrison's life. We go to the beach several times a year, but he has always been scared of the ocean. (It's the waves, because he loves the tub.) He loves to play in the sand and throw rocks and chase the birds. But he would not go in the water. In fact, sometimes he would not let us stand in the water.
Today we went to the shores to play at the playground. I was not anticipating any time at the actual beach, so I wore jeans and no one had a swim suit. After a while playing on the gym, we all went down to the beach to play in the sand (or so I thought). I started the traditional hole in the sand. I dug the hole at the edge of the tide. So every 5 minutes or so when the big set came in, water filled our hole. The boys like that, and that's where our beach experiences have ended in the past. But Harrison wanted to put rocks in the hole. After he put in all the rocks shore side, he discovered that there are also rocks further into the surf. He wandered out into the ebbing tide to pick up rocks! No warning. We just saw him tromping in the water. A few minutes later, he and Mollie were wading when he jumped down and sat in the water. I went out with him to where he was almost waist deep in the water. I was astonished, and very dripping denim wet.
We don't have a picture of any of this, but then again it was totally unexpected. Even Noah wandered out into the water. I am so glad that my boys finally like the ocean. Hopefully we will go again soon and take the camera.
Sam
Saturday, April 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment