Wednesday, July 23, 2008

sew sew sewing

I know. I haven't blogged here in a while. I've been a little bit busy - we had a great summer visiting family in Vegas and Salt Lake, and attending my sisters wedding. I even started blog entries about these events, but I just didn't feel like blogging at the time, so they are still in draft form. Maybe in December you can all be surprised my my posts about our summer :) But I thought I'd go ahead and update you on what I've been doing lately.
A few weeks ago my Dr. told me to stay off my feet. No more trips to the zoo, or fair, and wondering the mall was off the list of possibilities. Kind of stinks with this being our last summer in San Diego, and I really can't get out to do much. The first few days I kind of laid around, but I got board pretty easily. Then I remembered I have this great sewing machine, which, aside from re-covering a rocking chair, I haven't really used in 2 years. And I thought of some things I could make. Well, since then I have been sewing a up a storm. Just ask Sam. He vacuums all the thread I leave in my wake each night, and puts my sewing machine, iron, ironing board and cutting mat away so we have a place to eat in the morning (well, most days....) We have had an unusually high number of dinner picnics outside, due to the kitchen table being occupied at dinner time... But I have been really pleased by what I have been able to accomplish. And found it very interesting how many patterns and ideas I can find on the internet for FREE! It's been really great. So I thought I would share some of my projects here - most of what I have been working on is TOP SECRET, and will be disclosed at a later date, but here's what else I have been working on.
My first project was the acclaimed "hooter hider". Kind of a crass name, if you ask me, but it's a nursing cover. My friend Jordan had one, and it just seemed so much easier than trying to use a blanket to cover up in public. Anyway, it seemed like a really easy project, and something that I could do for less than $35 (which is what they cost...) So, I found some cute fabric, at Wal-mart of all places (this was not a small feat - this was the only fabric that resembled cute that I could find...), and got s a couple notions, and viola. A hooter hider for about $10. And mine is lined, so it's pretty on both sides. And it was super easy. I'm thinking this may turn into a great gift to give. But I didn't stop there. I thought it might be nice to have a little bag to stash it in in my diaper bag, to keep it nice and tidy, and I found a remnant that worked with my fabrics, and whipped that up. Did I stop there? Nope. My friend Jane did a post on this great diaper/wipes case a friend had given her, and that looked easy enough. So I did a search, and sure enough I found a pattern that looked exactly like what she had posted. So I whipped that up (this was by far the quickest and easiest.) And it coordinates with my hooter hider. I know, I'm so chic. Next I decided to venture to a fabric shop that I know has LOTS of really cute prints and things. The only trouble being most fabrics cost over twice what I would pay at Wal-Mart. I know, I'm cheap. But I wanted to make a blanket for the baby, and knew I could find something I really like there. And I did. A cute flannel with pink/green/brown polka dots on one side and a simple floral/butterfly print with lavender thrown in on the other. Unfortunately, the cheap side of me skimped on how much I bought. So I had to figure out exactly what I would do with it - it wasn't enough to make a really good sized recieving blanket. And then I remembered these blankets I had seen at a specialty shop a few years back. They were called "taggies" and had little loops of ribbons (which were suppose to be like the tags you find on clothing) around the edges. It's a smaller blanket, and apparently babies love to rub the little tags. So I was off to Michael's to find coordinating ribbon. Amazingly I found ribbon that looked like it was made to go with the fabric. So a few hours and 76 "tags" later, I had a way cute blankie for my baby girl. It's bigger than the original "taggies" and has way more "tags", but I think it turned out very nicely. I had a little fabric and ribbon left over, so I made a burp cloth to go with it. When Sam saw it, he said, "are you actually going to let her burp on that?"
So, that's what I've been up to lately... At least between the scheduling of movers, planning trips to D.C. to find our new place, reserving our car transport, selling/donating half of our stuff, and boxing the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment