Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A Bouquet of Hair Accessories

I love having a girl. But, I must admit, after being so used to having boys, I'm not the best at coordinating accessories. I found myself pretty overwhelmed when first trying to shop for a girl. With the boys everything coordinated with everything, and a ball cap was as extensive as the accessories got. There are so many shades of pink/purple/red, and so many combinations of the above. My fun Aunt Cindy gave Olivia some adorable headbands when she was brand new. They were my favorite accessory. I kept meaning to make some for her myself, but I never found the right headbands, so it never got done. Recently I've been trying to figure out what to do with Olivia's hair. With my boys, I just trimmed it when it got unruly. But I figure that's probably not the right thing to do for her, if I ever want her hair to grow. And her hair isn't quite long enough (or thick enough) to hold a clip. A couple weeks ago she was wearing a dress that went really well with a hair clip I had, but it wouldn't stay in her hair. So I got the idea to clip it to a headband that she could wear. It worked great. And then I remembered my Aunt Cindy's cute head bands (I lost my favorite one!) and got an idea to make headbands that would be interchangeable. So I found a bunch of different colored headbands, in the hair aisle (I guess I was looking in the baby section - the ones for adults and little girls work great for babies too!)


And then I got some barrettes (I remember these from when I was a little girl):


And I hot-glued the barrettes to various fake flowers:


It was super fast to make, and I ended up making a lot:


And I love all the different color combinations that I can get now. With 14 clips and 18 headbands, I think I've got a combination for just about everything in her wardrobe. And I figure when she dosen't wear headbands anymore, she'll still be able to wear the clips. I even pondered clipping one into my hair the other day....


And here's Olivia modeling one combination. This was an outfit that was impossible to find a hair accessory for because of the colors. But now she's got several combinations that will work!And then to organize it all, I made this thingy to put on the wall. It's just got 4 rows of ribbon to put all the clips on, and a big pocket to put all the headbands in.

7 comments:

  1. So Cute!! I'll have to come back to this post if I ever have a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Mollie! I know there's a reason I don't have a girl. Just keeping the boys' socks straight is a stretch for me. Those are cute, and the organizer puts it over the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could wear a big flower like that in my hair. Absolutely darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the cutest ones I have ever seen! Oh man, I wish I had this great idea when Annie was little. You are amazing Mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute idea. And she is so gorgeous--I love that picture of her!

    ReplyDelete