Sunday, July 24, 2011

Peaches


Earlier this spring, we bought a peach tree as one of our early yard expenditures.  Living in the Northwest, we have a great climate for fruit trees.  Across the street from our house is a large orchard with apples and pears.  So we were really excited to get some fruit trees of our own.  We found a nice local nursery, The Flower Farm, which had many beautiful varieties.  After some consultation with the owner, we found out that apple trees and cherry trees need constant spraying for worms and whatnot.  We settled on a peach tree.


Growing up, my dad was always planting fruit trees in our yards. I remember Kansas and Texas, but I presume that he planted in Iowa, North Dakota and Missouri.  The only problem was that they took forever to bear fruit.  We only lived in these houses for about 5 years, and I just remember that we rarely got a good crop out of any of them.  The lone exception being the mulberry tree in Kansas, but that was planted before we owned the house.

The tree that we bought was significantly more mature than the average twig that you buy at walmart, but I was surprised when the nursery owner told me that it would bear fruit this year. This last week, we got ~20 beautiful and delicious peaches. They were so good that we may end up buying another tree next year. I could personally eat peaches all summer long.  They are amazing! And if we have so many that we can't eat them all, canned peaches are also good.  But I don't think I'd ever let it get to that point.


No comments:

Post a Comment