Last Saturday we spent the day at Mount Vernon, so I thought I would post some pictures.
Harrison posing with the Washington's (George, Martha & 2 grandchildren).
I was so glad I brought the double jogger. Mount Vernon is so much more than just an old mansion. There are huge grounds filled with gardens, stables, farm animals, and all sorts of stuff that's great to go explore, but that require quite a bit of walking. This stroller was never empty, except for the walk through the mansion.
We brought a picnic lunch and picnicked in the Washington's backyard. It was amazing weather - low 80's, low humidity. Just perfect. And there weren't crazy amounts of people there either. We walked a ways away from the house to the shade of a large tree, and there wasn't anyone else anywhere near us. We had a view of the Potomac river, cows within sight (but not smell), and lots of space to run around.
They had a great kind of scavenger hunt set up for kids, with a map, and clues to look for. Harrison was really into it, and would direct us where we need to go to find the answer to the next puzzle. Near the end of the day, we had one last puzzle to solve. It involved hiking a little ways to go to the grave site for the slaves that lived at Mount Vernon. On the way there you pass George and Martha Washington's grave site. Harrison had a one track mind to solve his puzzle, so he sped right past the Washington's graves. After solving his last clue, we started to head back, and we were about to pass the Washington's grave sites again. I was trying to remind Harrison to be respectful of the grave site as we approached.
I said, "Harrison, we are about to pass two mini Washington Monuments. They are the graves of George and Martha,"
Harrison blurts out in a very loud voice, "Who is George and Martha???"
I try to calmly and respectfully answer, "The Washington's, of course. This was their house we were visiting today, remember?"
Harrison again, just as loud, "They're dead??? Why do they have this house if they're dead?"
We got year round passes, because there is a lot more to see there (we didn't explore the museums at all, and there is apparently a lot for kids to explore there), and I would also like to see it during different season, especially in the Spring when all the trees are in bloom.
"Why do they have this house if they're dead?" I literally feel sick from laughing!
ReplyDeleteIt's perfectly logical question! I love it.
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! We never made it to Mount Vernon while we lived on the east coast.
ReplyDeleteDid you make livie's headband? It's really cute!
ReplyDeleteThat is a perfectly logical question.
ReplyDelete