Now on to why we are moving. We've been struggling with this decision almost since we moved into our current rental home. Our current home was a great deal. We have a large backyard, and lots of storage space, for a great price. About $500 less a month than we saw for any other single family home. But, that came with some issues. The house has been a rental property for almost 20 years - and the owners (out of state) don't feel the need to keep anything up. So, we've got old carpet, old linoleum, original leaky windows (have I mentioned our utility bills in the winter? Or summer?), moss for a front yard, smelly basement... I could go on. We offered to put in some labor to help improve the place, but they weren't willing to do that. So we made a list. A list of things we would want fixed in a new rental property, and things we were willing to give up. And then we thought about it, and I think we were just about to the point where we were willing to deal with the situation for a couple more years while we figured out what we really wanted. Our lease was for a year, but then was suppose to go month to month, so we figured we could keep our eyes peeled for something better, and then take it when we saw it. And then we got the letter. Rent increasing (by more than 6%, mind you) and a commitment to stay another year. That was more than I could take. So we started looking seriously. Luckily, Sam's brother, David, was staying with us for the summer, and was kind enough to watch the kids night after night while we looked at properties. We finally found one. We'll have a little less space, and a much smaller yard, but we'll also get newer windows, gas heating, gas range, fenced yard, garage, secluded shadey park across the parking lot, walking distance to the elementary school (a good one at that), a short distance from the chapel, with a bigger kitchen adjacent to the deck, and a master bathroom that more than one person can stand in at a time, with a walk in closet. Oh, and no smelly rooms. That was on the top of my list. It's a townhome, but an end unit, so we only share one wall, and we have our own driveway and garage. And the landlord is great - they live just down the road, and they lived in the home up until a year ago when they started renting it. They just contacted us to see if we would be willing to keep up the yard if they paid to have it professionally landscaped. Yay! A landlord that cares about the house! So, here it is:
We move in a week from Saturday, and then Harrison will start school on the following Monday, so it's a busy time for us. We'll post more pictures, when we get settled (in about a year, right?)
We get the same questions--no one understands why we wouldn't buy. Someday we will, but for now, renting is a pretty sweet deal. Love the house!
ReplyDeleteNice looking place guys! I'm glad you found something to be excited about- we know about stinky landlords- they raised our rent 25% from our first year of school to our second. Who does that? To students. So, I'm glad you'll have good landlords and a newer nicer place- worth a little extra $!!
ReplyDeleteMollie, this looks wonderful! I'm so glad you were able to find a better home to live in with good landlords. I understand your reluctance to buy; we never even considered buying anything in NY; like MD, it's crazy expensive, even with the reduced prices. And the property taxes were insane. We have friends who pay over $10K/year in property taxes for a modest house in a decent neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteI hope the first day of school goes well! Good luck.
looks good. you'll love your new gas and electric bills.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy for you guys. I couldn't put up with a smelly rundown house either. You guys have worked too hard and waited too long to live like that!
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear you'll have to move again since it can be such a pain, but it really seems like it will be worth it! I hope things work out well in your new place. Also good luck with the start of school. I am sure Harrison will do great!
ReplyDeleteMolls, That's exciting! I think it looks great and sounds like a good move for you guys. I imagine you'll be very busy getting ready for all the changes. Best of luck with the move and the start of school. I look forward to the next update.
ReplyDeleteI understand why you won't buy.... we won't either... just kidding. I hope your move went well and that you're enjoying your new place... say hi to Sam for me!
ReplyDelete