Saturday, October 8, 2011

Harrison's Baptism

This year Harrison turned 8 and was baptized.  For the special occasion both sets of Grandparents flew out to visit.  It was great having everyone in town for a while and to celebrate our wonderful son's baptism.


Our ward does group baptisms, and as luck would have it Harrison's baptism was held in conjunction with three other children in the ward.  We are all friends, and one of them is Harrison's best buddy who lives a few houses away.   I really love our ward, and these four families are great.



The service was held at the stake center, as our ward building does not have a baptismal font.  I have never known a building to not have a font, even the tiny branch building in Sikeston where I was baptized had one. All four kids were baptized by their dads with plenty of family attending.


The confirmation was also a special process. My dad gave me great advice as a missionary that I have always remembered.  The confirmation is not the time for teaching, advising or reminding.  It is a blessing, and should be used to bless the life of the recipient.  Ever since then, I have had a different perspective on church blessings.  Here I blessed Harrison to both feel and understand the Holy Ghost in the many circumstances of his life.  In the days leading up to the baptism, I could really not think of anything else that was more important than that.

The baptism was great, and since then I have been noticing how Harrison is changing and becoming more grown up. He and I can talk about things in a more mature manner, and he has enjoyed learning some grown up things like cooking. He loves making scrambled eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment