As one gift, Harrison got a set of scriptures with his name on the cover.
I think he forgot to make a wish when he blew out his candles. Note the look of dissapointment when asked what he wished for:
We are so proud of our Harrison. This was a big weekend for him. He turned 8 and chose to be baptized. We've got a whole 'nother post just about that. That same week, I was also contacted by his 2nd grade teacher, and informed that there was nothing for him to learn in 2nd grade. She had done everything she could to challenge him, and it wasn't enough. I am so grateful he finally had a teacher that recognized this problem - it's one that I was aware of for quite some time, but anytime I brought it up, people seemed to think I was exaggerating or bragging or something. But his teacher went to the administration herself, had him tested, and followed up. It was amazing. It was determined that he would be a great fit for the 3rd grade gifted program (thankfully also housed right in our home school) and he would start on Monday. With our permission, of course. After a good talk with his teacher and a visit to the new class, we decided to make the big move. I really didn't think I'd ever consider skipping my child a grade, as I have heard quite a few negative things about it. But when it came down to it, it was the best thing for Harrison, in the opinion of his 2nd grade teacher (who we love and miss terribly) and the principal, the school counselor, as well as officials at the district level that had to approve of the move. Part of what made the decision quite a bit easier is that he did just turn 8, so he's not that much younger than most of the kids in his class. He seems to be doing great in his new class, and is much more challenged. It has been a good move. I'm a bit sad that it couldn't have been made at the beginning of the year, as it is always a bit difficult to be the new kid (again), but I think he's adjusting to that okay. I guess I'll see if I still feel the same way when I'm sending a 10 year old to middle school in a couple of years. Or a 17 year old to college.


More like a 15 year old to college. You don't think this will continue to be an issue? I guess it might not be if he remains unchallenged in public schools...
ReplyDeleteAlso, the forgot-to-make-a-wish face is so sad!
ReplyDelete