Thursday, November 24, 2011

turkey trot

On Thanksgiving morning, we all went down to the Columbia River Park for the annual turkey trot. Mollie entered Harrison, Noah and I in the one mile race.  There was also a 5K following a different route.

It was a beautiful crisp morning.  We got there in enough time to find parking, get our packets, and find the start line.  The boys and I got to the start line about 10 minutes before the race was set to start, and there were only perhaps 30 people there.  I though well this is going to be fun.  As we stood at the starting line, the crowd came.   I actually started getting a bit nervous about getting out of the blocks quick enough, noticing that perhaps 300 people had filled in behind us.




The race starts with an abrupt left turn, and I told the boys that our job was to get out of the way as quickly as possible so that other people could run by us if they were faster.  I had flashbacks to my cross country races, where you seriously sprint the first 200 yards as the course quickly narrows to just a few people wide.

Harrison was out quickly, sprinting along 20 yards ahead of Noah and I (who held hands most of the race).  After 30 seconds or so Harrison looked around and noticed that we were not right by him.  I could see him and made eye contact.  He figured out it was okay and kept on sprinting.  He was funny, sprinting for 50 yards or so, and then jogging back to Noah and I who were doing a more consistent pace.  This went on the whole race, racing ahead and then either waiting or wandering back.

We all finished happy at about 11 minutes. I was pretty surprised at how many people participated.  I don't know official numbers, but people were passing us the entire time we ran.
Post-race with free water bottles.

 I would bet at least several hundred people ran the mile race.  Then as we neared the finish line (which was shared with the two races), I could see the people still taking off from the 5K race.  There must have been over a thousand.  Loads of people walking with their dog, pushing kids in strollers. Even 10 minutes after the gun, people were still working their way out of the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment