Friday, January 13, 2012
Minnie
On Monday night for FHE, we introduced the kids to the idea of "Mikey nickels". Now, that's going to need some explaining. First of all, "Mikey nickels" are replacing what was last years "cow nickels." This was an idea from my MIL - she got all the kids really excited about purchasing a cow for a family in a 3rd world country this year for Christmas, and gave us the idea of the kids earning nickels to help pay for the cow. We had a jar where the kids would get to put a nickel in any time they obeyed quickly, did their chores, etc. It was a really great experience, and Harrison especially really latched on to the idea of helping others in need. Noah and Olivia had a little bit of a harder time with the concept, but there were times they were really excited about it. 2 cows were purchased with the money condtirbuted from Sam's sibs and families, and it was a great experience.
A few months ago, Sam's mom brought up the idea of all going to Disney World as a family. By all, I mean our family + Sam's 5 sibs + their families and his parents. She has a very kind and generous friend who has given her 1 weeks worth of a timeshare for 2 "villas" in Disney World's Animal Kingdom. The plan is to go in early October of 2012. So, we reintroduced the idea of nickels, but this time they are "Mickey nickels" to help the kids save up money for their admission to Disney World. Because, although are accommodations are taken care of, there's still airfare for 5 and tickets to Disney world to be purchased. And I thought it would be a great chance to get the kids involved in contributing to the expenses. Now, I admit, this is not quite the charitable endeavor that it was last year, but, as my MIL reminded me, building strong families is also a worthy cause.
When the cow was our theme, GG (Sam's mom, as the kids call her) made everyone cow print PJ's, and got us a cow jar to collect nickels in. We also have a few cow statues around the house to help the kids remember what they were working towards. So, I figured some Disney paraphernalia was in order. Over the summer, I was at a yard sale where they were selling a very new looking set of Mikey and Minnie stuffed animals, the genuine ones, purchased at Disney World earlier that year. I got them for $1 each, and they've been up in the top of my closet waiting for this occasion to bring out. Noah and Olivia immediately latched on to them. GG had brought some Disney shirts for the kids last year, and the next morning, Noah and Olivia both came down dressed in their Mikey and Minnie shirts holding their dolls.
Then I remembered I had found some red/white polka dot fabric in the remnant section of Joann's and went about finding a tutorial on a bubble skirt. Gotta love the internet - I don't buy patterns for anything anymore! It was super easy, and I was able to put it together in about 30 minutes. Then today, I made a big Minnie bow (out of some fabric GG brought with her in October), and Olivia dressed up as Minnie today. She just needs some white gloves, yellow shoes, and some Minnie ears and she's good to go. I really like the fabric for the bow, but there wasn't enough to make the skirt from that. I might try and find some more of it, and make a new skirt. Or maybe a dress like this one. Maybe this will be Halloween next year?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I love it so much! (Both the cow and the mickey idea.) The minnie costume is darling. I have oodles of tips for Disney if you are interested.
ReplyDelete