Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snow Day


They've been talking about snow here for about a week.  Last night, it finally came.  I was becoming skeptical, so it was somewhat of surprise when I looked out the window this morning and saw that there was about an inch on the ground.  We checked out the schools website, and found only a 2 hour delay.  This puzzled me somewhat, as the snow was coming down, pretty hard, and was predicted to continue through the rest of the day.  It really seemed that they should have either started on time (when there was less snow to deal with) or just cancel it all together. Especially considering it's Wednesday, and the kids have early release every Wednesday.  Oh, well.  Kindergarten was cancelled, and Harrison had an orthodontist appointment at 11 (when school was suppose to start) so we didn't go to school today, anyway. 

Harrison got out and helped Sam shovel the driveway this morning.  Noah romped in the snow, attempted a snow man (the snow wasn't sticking very well) and helped construct the walls of a fort. 




Sam left for work (despite my misgivings) and the boys came inside to play.  I took Harrison to his appointment (braces are definitely in his future, but for now he'll just get a bite plate to deal with is severe overbite).  The roads were really pretty bad.  Nothing had been plowed.  I kind of figured once I got out of the neighborhood (which NEVER gets plowed) the roads would be pretty clear.  Not so.  They were somewhat compacted from people driving on them, and I think I saw some sand that they spread, but that was it.  I saw the traction control light come on a lot during my drive, and I kept my speed under 20 miles an hour.  On my way back from the appointment, Sam spotted me as he was headed home from work.  Apparently they sent everyone home (again in the worst part of the storm, with some pretty bad road conditions) at 11.  I didn't notice him following me home at all until he pulled up behind me when I went to pick Olivia up from her friends house. I was surprised, but glad to have him home for the day.

It was so nice Sam got to spend the rest of the day home with the family. We made cookies, and Sam took the boys out sledding.  They stayed out sledding for over an hour, and had a great time, meeting up with several other kids from the neighborhood. 



Olivia napped, and this pregnant lady stayed inside the warm house.  Oh, and I figured out our fans (despite what the HVAC guy told me) were going the wrong way (making our great room colder instead of warmer.) So, clever little (okay, huge, pregnant) me used the pole I got Sam for the Christmas lights to flip that switch (on one of the 2 fans) for the direction of the fan.  Not an easy task when it's at least 18 feet up in the air. Pretty proud moment for me.  So now one of our fans is for winter and one for summer, I guess. 

In the late afternoon I got the urge to do some sewing.  I found a tutorial on a pillow last night I was dying to make, and already had everything I needed to make it.  So I put aside my dinner making duties (Sam thankfully came to our rescue), and made this pillow: 


I just LOVE it. Used up some scraps of the drop cloth from our bench, and a pillow that I bought for Christmas. Took me about an hour, I think. The back is the envelope style - makes pillows SO simple. The ruffling is a little time intensive, but so so easy. 

I think it looks great on this chair in our great room.


I have pinned a bunch more, and I have 4 more red pillows that could use covers. Can't wait to start those too!

The kids have another day off from school tomorrow, so maybe we'll lust laze around the house, do some reading, sewing, and lots of playing.  I guess the snow is going to switch to more freezing rain, so it might be a day to spend indoors.  Sounds good to me!

2 comments:

  1. I love the pillow!!! I don't sew much at all. But I want to try my hand at a pillow.
    I had Jeff home too. He worked on fixing my clothes dryer, it stopped working yesterday. He doesn't go in to day until 10 but I hope he's home all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pillow is gorgeous! I have had a little crush on your chair since I saw it when we came to give Harrison his scout things. It's even cuter with that amazing pillow.

    ReplyDelete