Harrison just completed his 2nd, and last, round of swimming lessons for the summer. The first time he took them it was the beginning of June, in Pre-pike (2-3 year olds) class. It was once a week for 5 weeks. He did really well, which shocked me because he has a pretty good fear of water, and this summer was the first time he's enjoyed the beach or a pool. So I thought it would be a good idea to put him in again at the end of the summer. This time it was in a Pike class (3-5 year olds) which met everyday for 1 week.
Unfortunatley, I totally spaced on his first lesson and we missed it. So, when he came for his second lesson, it was his first time, and the other 5 kids were already used to the teacher and knew what was going on. The kids were also older this time, since there were no 2 year olds in his class. So he was extremely cautious, and I noticed his teacher would always have him go last (I think because he was pretty intimidated by the new situation, and unwilling to go out in the water with her.) He was also confused why he had a new teacher - I guess he was expecting his pre-pike teacher again!
So I really talked up swimming lessons the whole rest of the day, and we made a special trip to the sports store to buy him some goggles so he would feel comfortable going under water. Well, it seemed to have done the trick, because on his 2nd day, he couldn't keep his head out of the water. He did really well, swimming all by himself
(with a noodle) and his teacher was shocked.The unfortunate part is that he spent every spare moment with his face in the water, so he missed a lot of the teachers instructions. He also made me pretty nervous a couple times. He would put his face in the water and stay there for what felt like a LONG time. He always came up though, with a smile on his face. We're headed off to Arizona tomorrow, and so I think he'll have a lot of fun playing with his cousins in their pool!

No comments:
Post a Comment