
I finally got around to planning our Thanksgiving meal. I have almost all the shopping done, and I found some pretty good deals this year. I thought it would be interesting to see what the price of our little family's feast was this year:
Turkey

1 Butterball Turkey (13 lbs): $3.58 (that's total, not per pound...)
Stuffing
1lb Sage Sausage: $2.50

Celery: $0.77
Onions: $0.61
Gravy

2 cans Chicken Broth: $0.80
Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs of Potatoes: $0.49
8 oz Cream Cheese: FREE
Sour Cream: $1.50
Rolls

36 Rhodes Rolls: $2.59
Sides
Petite Peas: $1.00
TJ's Cranberry Relish: $2.99
Pies
1 prepared chocolate pie crust(I'm cheating a little this time): $0.90
more cream cheese: FREE!!!

1 bunch of bananas: $0.95
1 jar of hot fudge: $2.00
Whipping Cream: $1.79
Whipped Topping: $0.90
1 can Sweet & Condensed Milk: $1.39

TOTAL: $24.76
There are some ingredients omitted above, but they are things I already have on hand (flour, sugar, salt, spices, homemade bread (for the stuffing), butter, peanut butter). But I think even if I counted their cost, I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for under $30, and we'll have leftovers for FOREVER! Sometimes it pays to watch the grocery store ads and clip coupons! I also calculated the calories for all the recipes that I'm planning on making and there will be over 23000 calories on our table... Perhaps we should have invited some guests???
No comments:
Post a Comment