If you'll remember, a while back
I recovered the arms and seat of my glider. Well, since then
we moved across the country and
took very little with us. When we arrived in Maryland we proceeded to replace much of our furniture that we left behind using
craigslist. This proved to be pretty rewarding (good furniture for much less then we could have purchased it for new) but stressful (trying to drive all over the place picking stuff up with a newborn and 2 kids in tow, and trying to do it as quickly as possible because we literally had no where to sit or put our clothes...) But in the end I think I'm really glad we did it. One of my favorite finds was my glider replacement. After nursing Olivia in a folding chair for a couple weeks, I found one. For $75 I got a
dutailier swivel glider and ottoman. The one problem was that the previous owner had recovered it (or paid someone else to do it) and it was in light blue, which showed a lot of wear and dirt. I knew I could recover it, and it was a bargain at $75, so I got it. Here's the before:

I had already covered the ottoman when I took this picture, but you get the idea. The arms were actually useless the way they had been done, and provided no padding. Well, 8 months later I finally got around to finishing the recovering job:
I really like how it turned out - and it was actually really easy to do. I covered the ottoman right away, because that seemed the simplest. Then I fixed the arm rests, because I really wanted some padding there. About 2 months later I finally did the seat cushion, and then for some reason I waited another 4 or 5 months or so to do the seat back. But now I really love how it looks. I actually found a small kid-size chair at a yard sale for $2 that I also recovered (forgot to take a before shot...), and I did it to match the glider. So for about $100 I got a custom rocking chair with a matching kids chair. This is why I love sewing and craigslist and garage sales.

So fun! I love the print and that kids chair. I just finished recovering a glider that we bought for $20. Don't worry, it is a cheaper brand and I had to replace the foam cushions so you probably scored a better deal :)
ReplyDeleteYou have a much better craigslist selection down in your area. Have you been to G Street Fabrics? I have found some great deals on heavy duty upholstery fabrics, but it is hit or miss.
I am so incredibly impressed! I know you are an amazing seamstress, but seeing it once again is just awesome!
ReplyDeleteGreat job Mollie! Everything looks really great. I guess I should try garage saling and craigslist more often.
ReplyDeleteI am so impressed! The only thing I can sew is a button onto a shirt!
ReplyDeleteThat chair looks great! ANd what an awesome find. Much better deal than buying them new (which we did when #2 was born, but in our defense, we were living in Provo and there is pretty much nothing good on Craigs list there, and this is the most comfortable rocker I've ever sat in). Steve still says we have to have at least one more kid to make the rocker come close to being worth the price.
ReplyDeleteOh, I love the nursery. You are one talented chick. Great job.
ReplyDeleteWow! That looks amazing!
ReplyDelete