Sunday, January 17, 2010

Super Saturday

Our three day weekend got off to kind of a slow start. Sam went with the youth in our ward down to the National Air and Space Museum, so instead of being sad that we weren't out in the nice weather together as a family, I started on some sewing projects that I've been meaning to get done for a long time.

A while back (almost a year ago) my friend Melissa asked if I could help her make some bibs for her boys. She wanted one with sleeves, so their shirts wouldn't get messy during the winter months when they are wearing long sleeves. I found a pattern on-line, and made a prototype out of some fabric scraps I had laying around:



The prototype was a little small (even for Olivia then, when she was only 9 months old). So I increased the size, and helped Melissa make a few for her youngest, and I made one for Olivia from some more scraps I had laying around. This one has a bunny on the front, and I made my own binding tape (out of necessity, because I didn't have any at home, and I wanted to make it right then...) but I found the custom binding added a nice touch.
I found that what makes it really cute is the applique on the front, so I asked my artist friend Christy if she could doodle me some designs to make some bibs for Olivia. Which she did. And they were so cute. And then I never made the bibs. Fast forward 9 months, and Olivia is starting to LOVE to self feed. Which is great for me, 'cause it frees me up quite a bit, but not so great for my laundry load numbers. I have a few bibs without sleeves, but she is a messy eater. Note photo above. And the bunny bib is getting a little tight. I remembered those bibs I helped Melissa make, and the cute drawings Christy had done for me, and I decided to finally get to it, and make the bibs. I had some fabric laying around that I bought just because I liked it, and figured I would make Olivia something with it. This seemed to be the perfect something. I spent the time to make some bias tape again, which I love doing, because you can only buy it in solid colors, and it's so much more fun with a print. I spent most of yesterday working on these - I cut out five bibs, and have finished 3 of them, with the other 2 started. And I LOVE how they turned out.

Christy gave me the idea for the flowers, but instead of using the petal designs she sent, I took the easy road, and just cut out the designs from the fabric.

Here's Olivia sporting the first one I finished. She's only a little upset in this picture because she wants the yogurt I'm holding.

Here's a close up of one of the designs Christy did for me. I love the button for the eye of the bird.


So for about $20 I got 5 stylin' bibs. I like them so much, I'm thinking I might have Olivia wear a bib all day long :)


7 comments:

  1. These bibs are super cute and handy. You are so crafty and creative, Mollie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute! Self-feeders really do need a lot of coverage and those seem to work great. You should sell them on etsy or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! You probably don't have time to mass produce these but I bet you could make a great profit selling these on etsy.com! I would buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute! I wished you lived close so we could work on these kinds of things together. We'll have to have some sewing time while you're here this spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of friends who have a new product line for babies. If you decide to go into business, you might try them - 2LittleMamas.com. I think your stuff would fit right in.

    And - WOW - who's the big girl? That's not the same child who was here in October, is it? She looks so very grown up.

    ReplyDelete