Saturday, May 1, 2010

Olivia's Room take II

Remember when I finally got Olivia's nursery finished?   Well, and then remember we moved?  Yeah, I still don't have it finished again.  But I made some progress on it, and wanted to share.  Her window faces west, so it's got great evening sun.  Not so great when your baby wants/needs to go to bed at 6:30.  And the blinds that came with the house were broken.  So I set out to fix it.  I had made curtains similar to these in the boys room in San Diego, so I knew they were simple.  This time I just lined them with sun blocking material, and actually installed them into the window (with a fabric covered board and screws) instead of using a tension rod.  Anyway, here's how they turned out: 

I love the fabric I found, and think it still works with the existing valance, so I'm leaving that up.  And they roll down to block out much of the light when its time to sleep.

Several months ago I painted an old bookshelf we had green to match her room.  I love how it turned out:

 
And this is a wall treatment I experimented with.  It's fabric attached to the wall with liquid starch (which you can make yourself with cornstarch and water.)  So easy.  And totally temporary, you can remove it any time, without any damage to the wall.  I'm not sure I love how this fabric looks - it turned out darker than I wanted, but I haven't felt like doing it over, so it's still there. 

I still have some things to hang on the walls, but it's getting closer!  Now if I could just get Olivia to keep it clean!

5 comments:

  1. Great work in the room! And that is such a great picture of Olivia.

    I remember the blackout blind days--I actually had S's pinned to the wall on the sides to block every little bit of light out. I'm glad she sleeps a little better these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so fabulous! And that picture of Olivia is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Mollie! You are so good at making things look great. I wish we were near each other so you could help me do that kind of thing. Not to mention how much fun we'd have together. Now I'm so far away I won't even get to steal you away for a bit when you visit the in laws. :(
    Come see me in KL :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Olivia is so gorgeous! Great job on her room.

    ReplyDelete