Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Evacuated

Well.  this makes four times in ten years.  Four times that we have been very grateful to have our 72 hour kit and other essentials ready for a quick exit.

This was another fire (three out of the four) that was burning through scrub brush outside of Kennewick and heading towards our house. I noticed it getting very smokey outside, and thought that I would go get the mail to see what was going on.  When I stepped out side, I saw several police cars parked up the street.  Then I started to get pretty worried.  Next, a police car drove up, parked in front of our house, and the officers got out, and immediately started knocking doors across the street.  They informed me that the houses across the street were being evacuated, but not our side of the street. I called Sam at work and he left immediately.  On the drive home, Sam could see where the fire was burning from the smoke plumes, and it was close.  I started throwing all of our 72 hour kits and important photos.  I told the kids to pack up what they cared the very most about, and some extra clothes - it was a bit funny to see what they came up with - Olivia packed 5 pairs of shoes a several pairs of sisscors.  Harrison commented that he should pack an extra pair of clothes because hobos always have a pair to change into.



I texted a nearby friend who offered for us to come over and get out of the smoke, so when Sam got home, that's where we headed.  The Moody's fed us a great barbeque dinner, and we spent a pretty relaxed evening in their backyard, keeping an eye on the news to make sure our neighborhood hadn't burned down. The local news informed us when it was safe and the fire had been put out, so we drove home right about bed time.  Olivia was pretty sad  - she was hoping we were going to have to move in with her best bud Eliza.  Harrison was a bit down trodden as well, commenting that we had probably missed out on a grand adventure.  Kids sure have a different perspective on things!

On the way home, we were able to see that the fire had reached the intersection next to our neighborhood.  It was a very fast burning fire, and apparently didn't go into any green areas.  It went through all the scrub brush outside of town, but when it came to the Orchard and green (wet) plants, it slowed enough for the firemen to put it out.  Our house smelled of smoke for several days, but we were very glad to not lose our home or any of our stuff.  And also glad we had so much of our important things ready to take in case of an emergency.  We will, however, be updating those 72 hour kits with clothes that will actully fit our kids, so that in the event we need to actually use them, they will be useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment