Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Fourth of July, Show Your Support

Today is Independence Day. Mollie and I intentionally did not make many plans for the day. Avoiding the teeming beaches of San Diego, we opted to stay home and relax with our family.
Our lone engagement for the day was our Ward’s pancake breakfast and celebration. The activities committee did a wonderful job. The program consisted of a talk by Matt Vernon, a Navy helicopter pilot. His talk was really moving, and gave me many thinking points for the future.
Matt’s talk started by answering the common question of, “What can I do to show my support and gratitude for military.” His suggestion was simple and elegant. Every Christmas he and his family dress up and go visit the VA Hospital and talk to all the vets.
Growing up my family always went caroling on Christmas Eve to friends and neighbors. I think my new tradition will be to go to the VA and sing to the veterans.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment