Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Celebrations

This year, taking the lead from my friend Kim, we decided to do our commercial "Easter" celebrations (you know, the bunny, egg hunts, candy stuff) on the first day of spring. This year it worked out rather nicely since March 20th was on a Saturday, and I knew we were going to be recovering from our San Diego trip on Easter weekend.  I think it worked out pretty well, although it seemed strange to try and explain to people wy we did "Easter" a couple weeks early. And the boys have eagerly tried to explain to their friends, "The Spring bunny came to our house.  It's the same bunny as the Easter Bunny, but you can ask him to come for spring instead.  Then you can focus on the Resurrection for Easter."  Their friends just look at them very confused.  I think I might just stick to the Saturday before in the future, but this year it was perfect.

I found some great things in the dollar spot at Target.  I really don't like giving too much candy on holidays - I end up eating too much of it, and my kids get hyper and crazy.  But at Target they had some cute Beatrix Potter themed sticker sets and little board books, which the boys loved.  They also got some egg shaped sidewalk chalk, and a few other toys (playdough and slinkies).  The only candy was hidden in eggs around the house.

They loved hunting for the eggs.  Here's Harrison finding an egg in the kids dishes.

Olivia got a little purse (also from the dollar spot at Target). She likes to put it on her arm, wave and say "bye-bye" and then leave the room. 

I really did like celebrating spring - I was so ready for spring to come, and it was really here on March 20th. After having our little egg hunt, we headed off to Mount Vernon.

2 comments:

  1. Easter gets more fun every year! I love it :) Ivan also likes to wave and say "bye bye" and leave the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you liked the idea :) I agree on not having too much candy around for them, or me.

    ReplyDelete