Sunday, November 30, 2008

New Tradition

We started a new tradition in our family this year. Making a gingerbread house over Thanksgiving weekend. While visiting teaching earlier in the week, a sister I visit taught mentioned they always decorate gingerbread houses on Thursday night after the Thanksgiving feast. I thought that sounded like fun, but didn't really plan on doing it in our own family. Later that day Harrison was doing a Christmas themed coloring page that happened to be of a gingerbread house. After coloring much of it, he told me that this would serve as our plan when we made our own gingerbread house. And I thought, why not? I found great instructions which took me step by step through how to make a gingerbread house. Don't you just love google??? Since I did almost all of the thanksgiving prep the day before, I was able to whip up some gingerbread dough Wednesday night. I sent Sam to the store with the boys to pick out the candy for decorating. Thursday morning, we rolled out the dough, and cut out the pattern, and cooked up the pieces before the turkey needed to get in the oven. Then after the pieces had cooled, and while the turkey was cooking, we whipped up some royal icing, and put the base together. After dinner, we added the roof. Then on Friday we decorated it. The boys loved it. I had some fun also. Now the only problem is keeping them from eating it before we even get to december...


1 comment:

  1. On Thanksgiving?! I'm appalled... I mean, the radio stations start playing Christmas music the day after Halloween!

    ReplyDelete